Author Topic: Using up Scraps  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Judy

• Forum Administrator
  • Approved Member
  • Seriously Addicted to Paper
  • Kudos: 2
    • Handcrafted Greetings
Using up Scraps
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »
Who has scraps?  I do!!! (who doesn't???).  Here are a couple cards I made from my scrap pile:

How about you?  Have you made any scrap cards lately?

Offline NormaJ2005

• Norma
  • Global Moderator
  • Could Open A Craft Store
  • Kudos: 8
    • http://forum.handcraftedgreetings.com/index.php
Re: Using up Scraps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »
Great cards  Judy,  I  love to  use up  my  scraps  and  found  a   better  way  for  me to  remember to   do it  too.
I  got   three  plastic   shoe   boxes,  made  one  for   white c/s,  one  for   solids c/s,  and   one  for   print papers  and  c/s. When they   start  getting  full  it is  time  to  use them.  I try to  keep them  close   by too  so I  remember  to  use them. When  things   get too  small  I make  myself  toss  them in the   trash ,  since  I  hate to  part  with  anything.

Offline shawneegal

• Approved Member
  • The Table is for EATING???
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Wish I was more organized in storing my small bits and pieces , but since I'm not, I just dig thru my stash to see what I have. I HATE throwing things away when I might use them.  How many times have I said that ?
Judy, love your scrappy cards-- they are so pretty.

Offline Carrie

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:02:28 PM »
I like Norma, have my scraps sorted into different containers that stack. I probably have more scraps than most since I teach a class, but my class is good about searching thru the scrap containers for what they need so maybe not having to cut up a fresh sheet. 

Offline NormaJ2005

• Norma
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
Since  I put  the   scraps in the    three stacked   shoe  box  size   plastic containers  I  look  through them  first   before   going   for the  new  papers, and I  can  see   at a   glance when  the   containers   start  getting too   full. 
I  use to  use   folders  and  put them in  a  filing   cabinet,  it  took  up  too  much   room  trying to   color   sort  them,  this  works  much  better   for me   and  then I  see  papers  I   forgot  about

Good  luck   and   do   share   your  ideas,  it   might   be  even  better  then  ours.

Offline Judy

• Forum Administrator
  • Approved Member
  • Kudos: 2
    • Handcrafted Greetings
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:35:59 AM »
I sort my scraps by color and keep them in two accordion files, one for warm colors and the other for cool colors.  I alternate card stock and patterned paper.  For example the first slot is blue card stock and the second is blue patterned paper, next is green card stock, then green patterned paper etc.

Offline NormaJ2005

• Norma
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Sounds  like  one  I  tried   a   few  years   ago,  it   wored  pretty  well until  I  had  too much   scrap  and   forgot to  use it

Offline Barb R

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
I have one tried and true filing method for my cardstock scraps for a number of years now. I have lots of small scraps. I have a rule in my mind that I only keep scraps down to a certain size - like no smaller than 2x2". I use photo boxes - a blue box for blue scraps, yellow box will hold anything from yellow to orange, green for green scraps, black will hold black, silver and gold, etc. I have seven boxes total that I keep on top of a dresser in the closet (from which I removed the door). This method is so quick and easy for me and leaves my file drawers free for other things that are less bulky. And, my clean up is so quick this way. I used to put them in file folders, but they took up too much room in the drawer. Since I have changed to this photobox method, I have never regretted it.

Offline stampencamper

• Approved Member
  • Not Addicted Yet
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
I have organized my scraps this year; now, to get back into stamping to use those scraps.  I put mine by color category into magazine holders; upright on a shelf.  Easy to access.  Now, to use my scraps; I have a pinterest page boards that holds paper scraps and one time wonder sheets that cut up designer paper pages  If yu are looking for scrap cards ideas; my pinterest name is Carolyn v
Carolyn in MN

Offline NormaJ2005

• Norma
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
Hi  Carolyn thanks  for the   tip  and   I  look   forward  to  seeing  you   around  here  more.  We  are all  big on  sharing  things  we  learn